December is here and San Francisco streets are lighting up with beautiful and festive Holiday scenery. There’s no doubt that Christmas season is almost upon us, and although it’s only the first week of December, it’s hard to contain the excitement of the season! This year, our holiday spotlight is on the famous buzzing plaza at the heart of San Francisco… Union Square!
Every year, Union Square hosts a month-long event called Winter Walk where the famous plaza is festively decorated with scenery including 17,000 square feet of green space, food trucks, beer and wine gardens, and many different performances and events. Visitors come out from all over the Bay area to enjoy treats and take Instagramable pictures at the mobile photo stations with their friends and family to spread the Christmas joy.
Apart from the many food trucks offering delicious treats and meals, Winter Walk also has scheduled performances throughout the month of December that will definitely immerse you in the Holiday spirit! Here is a list of upcoming events found on the event website, including themed performances, carols, and even disco-parties.
- December 6: Dickens Fair Choir from 11:30 am-12:30 pm
- December 6: “Mean Girls” themed drag performance by local drag queen Tye and friends at 6:30 pm, 7:00 pm & 7:30 pm
- December 7: Performance by the Salvation Army Children’s Choir
- December 9: Urban Flowers – Wreath & Centerpiece Demos from 11:00 am-2:00 pm
- December 13 and 21: Pop-up appearances by the Bay Area’s beloved Dickens Fair
- December 13: Silent Disco presented by HUSHconcerts from 5:00 pm-9:00 pm
- December 15: Core Power Yoga from 11:00-11:30 am
- December 16: Urban Flowers – Wreath & Centerpiece Demos from 11:00 am-2:00 pm
- December 21: Special Winter Solstice performance by Luminescent Grand (the world’s first synesthesia piano)
- December 23: Museum of Craft & Holiday Craft Station from 11:00 am-2:00 pm
Another Holiday-highlight from Union Square is their famous outdoor Ice Rink located at the center of the plaza. Every Christmas season, the rink opens and is surrounded by holiday decorations such as the massive Macys Christmas tree, lights, and more. There are also special themed events and parties happening during the month of December, including free ice-skating lessons if you are a beginner. You can check out their full list of events on their calendar!
It may not snow in San Francisco, but that shouldn’t stop you from all the Holiday fun happening in the city.
If you want to stay on top of all the Holiday events this year, make sure to subscribe to our newsletter by clicking the link below and know about all that’s happening in the city of San Francisco!